4.08.2008

Holy Spirit Power

Luke posted a blog about the Holy Spirit today on the website, and it got me thinking about the Holy Spirit. Duh. Anyway, I think most people raised in traditional (i.e. non-pentecostal) church have a skewed view about the Holy Spirit. I know I did. I was raised Lutheran until I was 18, and the HS wasn't talked about much. I was aware that he was the third party in the Trinity, but I didn't understand the Trinity. I knew that the book of Acts talked about him - the day of Pentecost, specifically - but I didn't understand Pentecost. No one ever told me that I could have the HS within me, as part of my heart. It wasn't until I joined Master's Commission that I realized how important and wonderful and powerful the person of the Holy Spirit is. Of course, I was surrounded by the weirdos - people doing idiotic things in the name of the HS, so it was easy for me to be skeptical. However, once I experienced him for myself, everything became more clear. I had an amazing experience during my first year of MC called the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Now, this is doctrinal, but the AoG (Assembly of God denomination) believes that this baptism is separate from salvation, and that speaking in tongues is the first initial evidence of the baptism. This is where people get lost, and understandably so. A friend of mine got pretty defensive in talking about this because she was taught that when you accept Christ into your heart, you are filled with his Spirit. She didn't understand (and was rudely treated because of her ignorance) what this separate experience was all about.

As far as my opinion is concerned, I do not believe you have to experience this baptism to be saved. I do not believe you have to speak in tongues to go to heaven. I do not believe that every believer is to receive this baptism. For me, I can only base my beliefs on what I read in the Word and what I have experienced personally. There are numerous examples within the New Testament where the Holy Spirit's ministry is specifically mentioned - day of Pentecost, Peter @ Cornelius' house, Paul's conversion, etc. I say the HS's 'ministry' because he was sent after Jesus ascended to be with us, as a person, a guide, a comforter. He made himself real to me. The experience I had during my first year was in the midst of true believers praying over me, laying hands on me, etc. I'll be honest, it was weird - I was not used to this kind of outpouring of love or concern. But I felt like things were being lifted off of me - things I had held onto for so long. I was giving up control and giving in to the Holy Spirit - the one who had tried to guide me since my salvation. It was as if God was saying, "It's TIME!" I spoke in tongues that first time, but not really out loud for anyone to hear me. It wasn't until that next weekend that I really let loose and began speaking in my new prayer language. I KNOW that sounds crazy, but I promise you - it was (and still is) one of the most awesome parts of my faith - when I pray in tongues, I know God is not only hearing me, but the HS is praying through me! How awesome is that?! There are so many times where I don't have the words to pray for something or someone, but I know it's on my heart. That's when the HS takes over. It's not like he's going to make you do something you shouldn't, or make you look like a fool - but maybe, just maybe, he's trying to gently persuade you to give up control.

I had an awesome experience with God yesterday - repentance is hard, and it hurt a lot, but I knew it needed to happen. One of the best parts about it was that I wailed in tongues - it was as if the HS knew I couldn't pray for myself because I felt so worthless, so dirty in God's sight. This experience has refreshed me and has reminded me of the power I have through the HS. I need his presence. I need his guidance. Jesus did everything for me, including sending the HS down to me and to you. I just felt like I needed to share with those few who read this. ;)

2 comments:

Rebecca Louise said...

whew. i'm glad you posted this. out here everyone prays in tongues. i don't think it is "necessary" to have it to be saved or to go to Heaven.. but I think it really helps your relationship with Christ. I knew for a long time that something was missing. And when I came across that it was clear. There is something about it.. I can't really explain. The Bible says that it edifies your spirit, but not your mind. So when I'm having a really hard time and can't pray..that is how I pray and "for some reason" I always feel better. I know I can't mess things up when I pray in the spirit. But I am glad someone else has had that experience. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Lynn Barnett. This is a wonderful post. Really, you did a great job explaining it. I have always struggled with this concept because how could the holy spirit be two seperate things. You did great.

Oh and i love you.